The vicarage garden at Bitton was to become well-known at the end of the 19th century, through the writings of Henry Nicholson Ellacombe. The collection of plants was, however, started by Ellacombe's father Henry Thomas Ellacombe. In the 1830s he drew up lists of the plants, trees and shrubs he was growing at Bitton, to send to other keen collectors, botanic gardens etc. to facilitate the exchange of propagating material. These lists were subsequently made available by his son to William Robinson for publication in The Garden.
Source: The Garden, July 31 1880 & December 24 1881